It’s been a while since I’ve shared one of my favorite recipes with you guys, so I figured I would today! These harissa sweet potato pita pockets are ridiculously good! Honestly, I could eat them every single day and not get sick of them. And they’re really healthy for you too! Well, there is some mayo in there, but you can use that sparingly if you’re watching your calories.
I discovered this recipe in one of my HelloFresh boxes and I’ve made it dozens of times since! I’ve written about HelloFresh on my blog before and you guys know that I work with them because I’m a huge fan of them. And I have to say that learning new recipes is one of my absolute favorite things about the service. Well that and the fact that it makes my life so much easier! Even before I was pregnant I hated having to go to the grocery store so often. I feel like Kevin or I would go for our kitchen staples (which we still do obviously), but then I always found us having to go back again and again for random things we needed to cook dinner. Or we would be too tired and decide not to go to the store and just get takeout way too often. And now that I’m super pregnant, I especially want to limit my trips to the grocery store. This mama and her big belly have a hard enough time walking to my car never mind waddling around the grocery store multiple times a week. Ha! So needless to say, HelloFresh has been a lifesaver for me during my pregnancy.
My discount code with HelloFresh still works so if you use code ALILUVS you’ll get 50% off your first week! With that code, there’s really no reason not to try it!
Ok, let me get into this recipe.
Here is what you need (Recipe Serves 2):
- 2 Whole Wheat Pitas
- 1 large Sweet Potato (I make 2 so I have extra for Molly)
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Cucumber
- 3 tablespoons Mayo (or Vegan Mayo)
- 1 tablespoon Harissa Powder
- 2 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Ounce Pine Nuts
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Wash and dry all produce. Preheat oven to 450°. Slice sweet potato into 1/4 inch rounds. Toss on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil, 1 teaspoon harissa powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast in oven until tender, about 20 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Mince one clove of garlic. Halve cucumber lengthwise, then slice into thin half-moons. Pick fronds from dill and discard stems. Roughly chop fronds until you have about 2 teaspoons. Halve, pit and scoop flesh from avocado, then thinly slice.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, a pinch of garlic and a pinch of harissa powder. Give mixture a taste and add more garlic (I add the whole clove because I love garlic!) and harissa powder as desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss cucumber, dill, white wine vinegar, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cut pitas in half to create pockets and place on a baking sheet. When sweet potato is almost done, after 18 to 20 minutes of roasting, put pitas in oven. Toast until warmed through but not crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. I usually throw the pitas on the same baking sheet as this potatoes instead of dirtying a second baking sheet. (HelloFresh gave me that tip!)
- Spread harissa mayo inside each pita, then fill with sweet potatoes, avocado, a few pine nuts and a small amount of cucumber salad. Divide the pitas between plates and add remaining cucumber salad to the side and sprinkle with any remaining pine nuts.
And that’s it! This whole thing takes 30 minutes to make and it’s absolutely delicious! It’s totally a favorite in the Manno household! And I encourage you guys to check out HelloFresh if you haven’t already. It’s completely changed the game for me in the kitchen and now I feel like I actually know what I’m doing when I’m in there! Plus it just makes my life so much easier. All the time I save meal planning and going to the grocery store, I’m able to spend with my family at home! I know it’s going to be even more helpful once baby boy arrives! Use my code ALILUVS to get 50% off your first week!
And if you make this recipe please let me know what you think in the comments below! Or if you plan to make it, let me know that too! I’d also love if you guys would share your favorite recipes with me in the comments below!
EATING FOR TWO!