I never met a taco I didn’t like! Ha! And these are no exception. What I love the most about these tacos is that they’re filled with ingredients that Molly really loves, so when I make them for me and Kevin, Molly gobbles them up too! I wish I could take credit for the recipe, but I can’t. I learned it from my HelloFresh meals. You guys have probably noticed a lot of the things I make are from HelloFresh. That’s really for two reasons. One, because we get 3 meals delivered to us every week. So I really do cook it a lot. And also because I couldn’t cook worth a lick before I started getting HelloFresh! I’m serious! I used to be embarrassed when my mother-in-law would come over because she’s such a great cook and would prepare us so many delicious meals and I literally couldn’t cook anything other than pasta. But now when she comes over I make her different recipes I’ve learned from HelloFresh and she’s taken a few of the recipes home with her because she’s liked them so much! Anyway, I want to share one of my favorites with you guys today and that’s the sweet potato and black bean tacos! Here’s what you need to make them:
- Two sweet potatoes
- One yellow onion
- 1/4 oz Cilantro
- Two cloves of garlic
- 6 to 7 ounces black beans
- One lime
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1/2 ounce honey (I used a tablespoon worth)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- One avocado
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
Taken right of the HelloFresh recipe card that comes with your delivery each week 😉
- Wash and dry all produce. Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut sweet potatoes into ½-inch cubes. Toss on a baking sheet with 1 TBSP olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast in oven until tender and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and dice onion. Pick cilantro leaves from stems; discard stems. Mince or grate garlic. Drain and rinse half the beans from the box (use the rest as you like). Zest ½ tsp zest from lime, then cut into halves.
- Heat 1 TBSP olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, tossing occasionally, until softened, 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and beans to pan. Cook, tossing, until fragrant and warmed through, 3-4 minutes.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven to warm, about 5 minutes. (TIP: Alternatively, wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave on high until warm, about 30 seconds.) Toss sweet potatoes, honey, cumin, and juice from one lime half into pan with beans and cook until liquid is mostly evaporated, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Halve, pit and peel avocado. Cut one half into thin slices. Roughly chop other half and place in a medium bowl along with sour cream, juice from remaining lime half and lime zest. Mash with a fork until mostly smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread avocado crema onto tortillas, then top each with filling, avocado slices, and cilantro. TIP: Break out the hot sauce if you like it spicy.
And that’s it!
These babies are seriously so easy to make and full of ingredients everyone will love! And if you watch my Instagram stories you’ve probably seen me cook these with Molly. While cooking them one day I discovered that she actually likes to eat sweet potato raw! I thought that was super weird but then started googling it and I guess it’s not that weird at all. Although I will say she does eat a lot more of the sweet potato once I cook it. Ha! She also loves to eat the tortillas while I’m cooking as you can see in the below photo! Ha!
I also want to share my HelloFresh code with you guys since I’m a partner of theirs! Heck, I have the code so I might as will give it to you guys right?! Code ALILUVS60 will get you 6 free meals! And after that the meals break down to less than $8 a person per meal for the family plan. And what I especially love about HelloFresh is that it reduces waste. Since they only send exactly the amount of ingredients I need, I don’t have to buy extra like I would if I was shopping at the grocery store. For example, you can’t really buy six flour tortillas. Instead, I would buy the whole pack of tortillas and possibly not use them all before they go bad. I’m notorious for letting food spoil! But once we started using HelloFresh, I’ve gotten so much better about it and it makes me feel good about doing better for the environment! Plus, I have two kids now and to be honest with you I haven’t stepped foot in a grocery store since Riley was born. And that’s the honest truth! Either Kevin goes or nobody goes. So he’s especially thankful that we get meals delivered right to our doorstep with HelloFresh. It’s so helpful! Anyway, just want to share with you guys! Hope you’re all having a great week! What are you making for dinner tonight? Tell me in the comments below!